Thursday 24 October 2013

I WANT MY PINK SHIRT BACK! (A day later than planned... Oops)

I've done a completely stupid thing and left this post as a draft instead of publishing - oops! That ruins my perfect Mean Girls link...

This is a post of not only a new technique I attempted this week, but also a themed technique; pink for Breast Cancer Awareness month. Plus, as it's a pink mani and it is Wednesday, it allows me to use all sorts of tenuously linked Mean Girls quotes because well, who doesn't love that film? (If you don't like it, I've got news for you - you're wrong. It's fantastic.)

So after weeks of enviously looking at people's nails which had been water-marbled to perfection, I decided to give it a go. One word that I'd choose to describe my experience? Stressful. Another to describe the outcome? Amazing. I was literally amazed that yet another tip picked up from various accounts actually worked by some utter miracle!

Bear with me here; the photos aren't great, and as it all moved so quickly, I couldn't quite take photographs of all the steps. Plus the outcome isn't as great as those of you who are well-practised in marbling are capable of, but as a total novice, I'm pretty happy with them.



For this technique, I used Essie - Neo Whimsical as a base coat, to make the design colours stand out. I used Rimmel Salon Pro - Isn't She Precious?, Essie - Off The Shoulder and Rimmel Salon Pro - Urban Purple for the design. Actually pictured is Barry M Nail Paint - Raspberry, but this was too gloopy to use! Ultimately, I found that Off The Shoulder dispersed far too quickly, which is probably the main reason that these designs aren't particularly uniform; they were done as quickly as possible before the polish dried! As you can see from the bottom left photo, I removed the tape from my little finger in order to see how worthwhile it truly was; it was a complete nightmare to clean up! The bottom right photo shows just how much mess I made - I have forgiven myself, given the fact it was my first time. (It was one time!)

I think water marbled nails have the potential to look so fetch. (By the way, I can confirm that as an English gal, fetch has never before been used as a part of my vocabulary in any context other than when quoting Mean Girls - I'm sure all you international chicas have been wondering about that for a decade. And yes, I obviously do* speak on behalf of every English female.)

Anyway, after that little detour down Mean Girls Memory Lane, I can reveal the final result...


I am pretty happy with these! Which Breast Cancer Awareness nail designs have you all been up to? Not long left in October now, so try to get a few more in; I know I will! And if you're not going to do it every day, at least make sure you do it on the last Wednesday.


Grool.








*Disclaimer - no I don't.)

1 comment:

  1. This looks incredible!! What method did you use? :) xx

    www.hausofamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to get your feedback on my nails and my blog, so feel free to let me know what you do/don't enjoy; I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks x